Wick Academy Football club Official web Site - WAFC - Harmsworth park - Turriff 0 v Wick 2

Adverts - Click Below
Saturday, 15 December 2018
Home arrow News Items\Reports arrow Results arrow Turriff 0 v Wick 2
Turriff 0 v Wick 2 Print E-mail
Written by Melanie Roger   
Saturday, 06 October 2018
6th October 2018 - Breedon Scottish Highland Football League  The Haughs, Turriff
 Turriff United FC


turriffunited_nikeTeam: Fraser Hobday, James Chalmersycard, Calum Reid, Ross Anderson(c)rcard, Dylan Stuart, Liam Strachanycard, Adam Crossycard, Keir Smith, Michael Ewen (Nikolas Wozniak 79), Angus Grant (Owen Cairns 69), Drew Copelandycard(David Ross 53)

Subs:  Nikolas Wozniak, Michael Ironside, Matthew Tewnion, Owen Cairns, Rory Brown, Stuart Taylor, David Ross  

  Wick Academy FC
  2 (Andrew Hardwick 29, Marc Macgregor 76)

WAFC Away Shirt 18-19Team: Sean McCarthy, Michael Steven(c)ycard, Grant Steven, Andrew Hardwick, Gary Manson, Jack Henryycard, Craig Gunn (Richard Macadie 69), Jack Halliday, Marc Macgregor, David Allan, Gordon MacNab(Grant Aitkenhead 86)

Subs: Richard Macadie, Grant Aitkenhead, Gordon Clark

 Referee:   Greg Soutar
 Bookings:   Ross Anderson 10, 69
  Drew Copeland 13
  Michael Steven 24
  James Chalmers 32 
  Liam Strachan 53
  Adam Cross 61
  Jack Henry 87
 Sponsors Man of the Match:  
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger   Match photos

A goal in each half, courtesy of Andrew Hardwick and Marc Macgregor, saw all 3 points head back North with Academy.

Although Wick took the attack to Turriff in the first few minutes - Marc Macgregor's run towards the 18 yard box being brought to a halt by a body check from Turriff captain Ross Anderson, and a cross in to the box being safely collected by keeper Fraser Hobday under pressure from Michael Steven - it was the home side that had the first real clear cut chance after 5 minutes  when Adam Cross ran on to a looping header from Michael Ewen but pulled his shot just wide of the post.

Ross Anderson picked up his first booking of the afternoon in the 10th minute for a thumping challenge on Davie Allan as the Wick man was driving down the right wing into the Turriff final third.  2 minutes later Turriff's Drew Copeland found his name in the referees book  - his high tackle leaving Davie Allan requiring treatment for a cut to the forehead.

Neither keeper had much to do in the next 15 minutes  although play ebbed from 18 yard line to 18 yard line. Wick's Michael Steven found his way into the referee's book in the 24th minute for a challenge that upended Calum Reid on the left touchline.

Wick's breakthrough came in the 30th minute when Turriff keeper Fraser Hobday miss-cued his punch to clear an inswinging corner from Craig Gunn and the ball looped to the far post where Andrew Hardwick was on hand to fire the ball over the line.

A minute later referee Soutar's card was out again - this time for a James Chalmers challenge on Jack Halliday.

Wick continued to press and Andrew Hardwick could have bagged himself a second when a run and cross from the right by Craig Gunn found him on the centre spot but Turriff youngster Dylan Stuart did enough to knock the ball away before the Wick man could get his shot away.

Into the second half and Wick were immediately on the front foot - Ross Anderson having to turn the ball away for a corner under pressure from Jack Henry,  Fraser Hobday saving low to his right from a shot from Gordon MacNab,  and after 5 minutes Gordon MacNab looked to have doubled the visitors lead when he rounded Fraser , his shot looking goal bound until Dylan Stuart cleared off the line.

The Referee brandished his yellow once again in the 54th minute - this time Turriff's Liam Strachan the recipient after fouling Grant Steven. 

Wick were well in the ascendency by the middle of the half - with Turriff grateful to keeper Hobday for keeping the score at just the one goal with a point blank save from Gordon MacNab and a double save from Marc Macgregor.

The pressure told on the Turriff defence in the 69th minute and captain Ross Anderson saw yellow for the second time  for pulling back Marc Macgregor. 

Jack Henry was next to test Fraser Hobday - his low drive turned around the post by the keeper at full stretch

In the 77th minute - vintage Davie Allan ..... after picking up the ball outside the 18 yard box, driving to the byline, weaving  past Turriff defenders Chalmers and Reid, he worked his way across the 6 yard line and pushed the ball into the path of Marc Macgregor who fired his shot past the Turriff keeper to make the game safe for the visitors.

In the 85th minute U17 graduate Grant Aitkenhead replaced Gordon MacNab for his first appearance in the Highland League.

Last Updated ( Friday, 19 October 2018 )
< Previous   Next >

Pld Pts
6. Forres Mechanics 19 37
7. Buckie Thistle 18 31
8. Wick Academy 18 27
9. Huntly 18 26
10. Deveronvale 19 25
Main Menu
News Items\Reports
SHFL Roundups
Table & Fixtures
Club History
Cup Details
Squad Details
Player Stats
News Blog
Photo Gallery
Scorrie Scoop Details
Scoop Winners
Premier Club Details
Premier Club Winners
WAFC Amazon Store
Sponsorship Packages
Match\Ball Sponsorship
Sports Science
WEB Links
Contact Us
FAQ & Help
Guest Book
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Youth Football
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Scorrie Scoop
User Stats
338 registered
0 today
0 this week
0 this month
Members: 340
News: 2264
WebLinks: 108
Visitors: 11887851
Content WAFC 2010 - Built, Configured & Art Work by John Briskham, Wick Academy Football Club.