WAFC Co-Managers Resign
Resignation of Wick Academy FC Co-Managers
1. Wick Academy Football Club have after much deliberation accepted the resignations of our Co. Managers Richard Hughes and Ian Munro.
Both Richard and Ian felt that it was in the Club’s best interests they tendered their resignations in light of the Clubs run of poor results this season which has seen the club fail to reach the levels of consistency of the past two seasons.
They have both agreed that they had taken the team as far as they possibly can and therefore feel the time is right to pass control of the team over to someone else with fresh impetuous and ideas which will enable the club to move forward.
Both Richard and Ian will continue in their Co. Managers roles through to the end of the current Scottish Highland Football League season (SHFL) whilst the club looks for a suitable replacement(s).
2. During their three years and four months at Wick Academy Football Club, Richard and Ian guided the club to a record SHFL points total of 51 in their first full season (2008-9); after taking over from Peter Budge in Jan 2008. This included the team achieving 10 SHFL Matches unbeaten thus enabling the club to achieve its highest SHFL position of 5th place.
As well as breaking and creating new club records during the 2008-9 Season, Richard and Ian achieved individual successes by winning the SHFL Mangers of the Year as voted by their fellow SHFL Managers.
The following Season 2009-10 the Club equalled its 51 points total as well as reaching the third round of the Scottish Cup where they lost out to SFL Division 2 side Brechin City FC after a replay. In the 1st match between the sides; Wick Academy FC was 15 minutes away from creating a Scottish Cup shock when leading 4-2 only to draw 4-4!
This current season saw the Club reach its first Senior Cup Final since joining the SHFL, unfortunately losing out to Forres Mechanics in the North of Scotland Cup to the odd goal in five.
3. Wick Academy FC would like to take this opportunity to thank Richard and Ian for the tireless amount of hours they dedicated to the club during their time as Co. Managers, and would like to wish them and their families all the very best for the future.
It is hoped that once Richard and Ian have some much deserved rest and time with their families they will continue to be involved with the club in some capacity.
4. No decision regarding a replacement has been made at this time; however the club would like to have someone in position before the end of the season to give them an opportunity to assess the current squad.
5. Wick Academy FC will be inviting applications for the post of Manager/Player Manager with immediate effect. All interested must apply in writing to the Club Secretary.