HL Roundup - 27th Aug 2011

Highland League round-up - Saturday August 27th

Frustrating day for Scorries as Rothes hold on

Academy’s hopes of a third win on the trot came to nothing as they suffered a frustrating 2-1 defeat to Rothes at Mackessack Park.

The Scorries fell behind when Sean McIntosh nodded in the opener after 11 minutes and Rothes doubled their lead in the 33rd minute when a looping header from Michael Fletcher went in off a post.

David Allan reduced the deficit nine minutes later, netting from close range after a cross from the left by Gary Manson.

Academy dominated for long spells after the break but they couldn’t find a second goal as the Speysiders held on for all three points.

From an Academy perspective, it was all too reminiscent of the recent encounter with Lossiemouth – a quick return to the scene of a 5-0 away win towards the end of last season, only to lose by a single-goal margin despite having created more than enough chances to win the match comfortably.

Deveronvale travel to Harmsworth Park today buoyed by an emphatic 5-0 home win against Brora Rangers.

Mike McKenzie opened the scoring three minutes from half-time and Grant Noble doubled their lead five minutes into the second period. Mark Chisholm quickly added a third, with substitutes David Smith and Stephen Jack adding further goals late on.

Buckie Thistle went one better with a 6-0 victory over Fort William at Claggan Park – a result that lifted the reigning champions to the top of the table.

Paul Napier led the way early on with a double and Lewis Mackinnon added a third before the break. Second-half goals from David Macrae, Zander Sutherland and Andy Low rounded off an easy win for the Jags.

Fraserburgh are one point behind the leaders following a dramatic 5-3 victory over Clachnacuddin at Bellslea Park.

The Broch stormed into a four-goal lead through Peter Alexander Bruce, Ryan Christie, Robert Morrice and Graham Johnston. Clach then mounted a comeback, with goals from Martin Callum, Scott Morrison and Gordon Morrison taking the score to 4-3, but Johnston had the final say as he netted Fraserburgh’s fifth late on.

Remarkably, two of the goals – Morrice for Fraserburgh and Scott Morrison for Clach – came direct from corner kicks.

Forres Mechanics were 2-0 winners over Inverurie Locos at Harlaw Park. Nathan Sharp headed in the opener midway through the first half and Simon Allan netted a penalty just before the hour mark.

First-half goals from Ross Naismith and Russell Guild set Huntly on their way to a 2-1 win against Lossiemouth at Grant Park. A late own goal by Alex Thoirs gave Lossie some hope, but they were unable to force an equaliser.

Turriff United’s Jerry O’Driscoll came back to haunt his former club by scoring twice in a 2-2 draw with Cove Rangers at The Haughs.

O’Driscoll headed the home side into an early lead only for Cove to turn things round in the closing stages of the first half with goals from Martin Johnston and Danny Milne.

Just as Cove looked to have done enough to come away with all three points, O’Driscoll popped up with a stoppage-time leveller.

The match between Nairn County and Formartine United at Station Park also ended in a 2-2 draw.

Martin MacDonald’s first-half opener for Nairn was cancelled out by a Bobby Mann free kick. Mann got his second of the afternoon from the penalty spot before Nairn’s David Watson ensured a share of the spoils.

Keith had to withstand a late fightback to secure a 3-2 win against Strathspey Thistle at Seafield Park. Strikes from Craig McGovern, Dean Donaldson and Jamie Lennox put the Maroons in the driving seat before the Grantown Jags rallied with goals by Joe Hardie and Craig Rothney.