HL & SC Roundup - 29th Oct 2011

Highland League & Scottish Cup 2nd Round round-up
Saturday October 29th
Scorries earn first North Lodge Victory as Soutar sees red

Academy picked up their first-ever win at North Lodge Park as second-half goals by Richard Macadie and Davie Allan secured a 2-0 victory over a Formartine United side who played almost 80 minutes with 10 men after the dismissal of their keeper Derek Soutar. It was the Scorries' first clean sheet of the season and it halted a run of four consecutive defeats.

Despite having several key players missing, Academy dominated throughout as big-spending Formartine struggled to make an impression. Soutar, the former Dundee and Aberdeen No 1, got his marching orders in the 13th minute when he rushed outside his box and brought down Sam Mackay.

Referee Andy Milne awarded Academy a penalty in the 36th minute after replacement keeper

Ross Bremner fouled Allan in the box. However, Bremner made amends by saving Stevie Cunningham's spot-kick.

Wick made the breakthrough after 65 minutes when Mackay sent in a cross from the right to Macadie, whose shot gave the keeper no chance. Allan made the points safe on 88 minutes when he gained possession on the halfway line and beat two defenders before coolly slotting the ball into the net.

Gary Tweedie grabbed a hat-trick as Forres tightened their grip on top spot with a 5-1 victory over Cove Rangers at Mosset Park.

Tweedie struck the opener inside two minutes and his second came just before the break after Jordan Leydon had levelled for Cove. Tweedie completed his treble nine minutes into the second half. Lee Fraser made it 4-1 just after the hour mark and Kyle Scott headed home the Can-Cans' fifth with a quarter of an hour to go.

Second-placed Nairn County had to settle for a 2-2 draw with Turriff United at Station Park.

After a goalless first half, Ross Anderson headed the visitors in front only for David Hind to equalise. Nairn's Paul Macleod was red-carded with five minutes remaining and Turriff looked to have snatched all three points with a last-minute strike from Andy Hutchison. However, there was still time for Nairn's Wayne Mackintosh to net a stoppage-time goal for a share of the spoils.

Brora made it back-to-back wins as they beat Rothes 3-1 at Mackessack Park. Steven Ross's early opener for the Cattachs was cancelled out by a Michael McKinnon header shortly before the break. The key moment came on the hour mark when Brora's James Murray was impeded in the box by Michael Ralton, with the Rothes player being shown the red card. Liam Baxter fired home the spot-kick and Murray made sure of the points.

Deveronvale eased to a 5-0 win against Strathspey Thistle at Seafield Park. Joe Hardie gifted the visitors the opening goal and they added three more before the interval courtesy of Grant Noble, Mike McKenzie and Graeme Rodger. Strathspey's Mateusz Bobrowski had a penalty saved by James Blanchard before Noble completed the scoring.

Fort William held out for over an hour at Lossiemouth before succumbing to a 2-0 defeat. Nikki Smith put the Coasters ahead from the penalty spot before Ross Archibald made the points safe. Lossie's JJ Urquhart was red-carded.

Four HFL sides were in action in Scottish Cup second-round replays.

Neil Gauld hit a quick-fire hat-trick as Inverurie Locos came from two down at half-time to beat Clachnacuddin 3-2 at Harlaw Park. Goals from Neil MacDonald and Sam Urquhart put the Lilywhites in a strong position but it began to turn sour for them when Gordon Morrison was sent off early in the second half. Gauld then banged in three goals inside a seven-minute spell as Locos booked a third-round tie at home to Peterhead.

Buckie Thistle battled back from two down to force extra time in their replay against East Stirlingshire at Victoria Park. However, the Third Division side ran out 4-2 winners as the Jags were left to rue their stoppage-time penalty miss at Ochilview the previous weekend.

Ex-Academy striker Craig Gunn got one of Elgin City's goals in their 5-2 victory over Fraserburgh.