Cove Rangers 2 - WAFC 0

 12th November 2011 - Scottish Highland Football League  Allan Park, Cove
 Cove Rangers F.C.  2 (Jordan Leyden 14, Danny Milne 28)  

CoveTeam: Stuart McKenzie, Neil Cruickshank, Stirling Smith, Murray McCulloch, Roddy Black, Kevin Small, Kevin Webster(Calum Wilson 85), Paul Emslie, Danny Milne(Daniel Park 71), Jordan Leyden(Martin Johnston 71), Richie Singer.

Subs: Daniel Park, Stephen Jeffrey, Calum Watson, Martin Johnston, Greg Sim.

  Wick Academy F.C.


WAFC Home 2011-12 webTeam:   Allan Bokas, Shaun Sinclair, Ross Allan(Gary Weir 45), Alan Farquhar, Michael Steven, Stewart Ross, Gary Manson, Sam Mackay, Davie Allan, Richard Macadie, Stevie Cunningham.

Subs: Gary Weir, Bryan McKiddie, James Mackay, Alan Hughes, Gordon Clark.

 Referee:  Bryan Braidwood
 Bookings:  None
 Reporter:  Ken Wood

It's a lovely sunny day at Allan Park and the game has just kicked off.

Michael Steven is back from suspension and is joined in defence today by Alan Farquhar. Craig Shearer and Grant Steven were not available for selection.

Academy make a bright start forcing several corners and free-kicks within shooting distance of goal.

Cove started to come into the game after 5 minutes or so and Bokas is forced to make a good save from Danny Milne as he pushed his shot away. Kevin Webster picked up the loose ball and squared it across goal for Paul Emslie but he fired his attempt over the top of the cross-bar.

In the next Cove attack Bokas is again called into action as he made a good block from a Jordan Leyden shot.

With 10 minutes played Academy broke up-field and David Allan marched into the Cove box with ball at feet and skipped around keeper Stuart McKenzie but he ran the ball out for a goal kick.

Cove open the scoring on the 14th minute. Danny Milne pushed the ball through the Academy defence onto Jordan Leyden and he steered the ball past Bokas from 8 yards out.

1 - 0

Cove doubled their lead in the 28th minute. Jordan Leyden crossed the ball low into the Academy penalty area from the right touch line to the feet of Danny Milne. He was strong in holding off a challenge and forced the ball home from the 6 yard line.

2 - 0

On the 35th minute Bokas made a diving save and parried away a Webster drive.

Three minutes later Manson swung a 15 yard free kick into the Cove box which Joe Steven got his head to but the keeper collected the ball.

In the last attack of the half Stewart Ross sent Macadie up the right flank but his cross was headed away by the Cove defence.

Half Time 2 - 0

Academy make a change at half time with Ross Allan coming off and Gary Weir on.

With 5 minutes of the second half played a 20 yard shot from the left side of the field from Richie Singer is well held by Bokas.

Two minutes later Academy pressed up-field and Davie Allan cut in from the left flank and won a corner kick. Macadie swung the ball over and from 25 yards out Sam Mackay flashed a drive just inches past the post.

Cunningham also got a good shot on target but it was safely gathered by keeper McKenzie.

On the hour mark Milne and Singer combined well up the left flank and a dangerous ball was whipped into the Academy box but Joe Steven cleared the danger with a good header.

A Davie Allan shot was then deflected for a corner which Stewart Ross sliced just wide of target.

Academy have had a spell of good possession and passing but we can't seem to penetrate the Cove back line.

With 75 minutes played a Steven Webster free kick from 22 yards out hit the wall and went for a corner. The corner was fired in low and Alan Farquhar cleared the danger at the near post.

Sam Mackay then sent a high ball up the wing for Macadie who was forced wide, but he used Shaun Sinclair who returned the ball to Mackay in a good flowing move, who in turn fed Cunningham but his shot was blocked out.

In the next Academy attack Weir wriggled between three Cove defenders and slipped the ball to Macadie who set up a shooting chance for Cunningham 18 yards from goal but keeper McKenzie was quick off his line and made a good block. Cunningham got to the re-bound first but skied his return shot over the bar.

Bokas was next in action as he made a brave save at the feet of substitute Martin Johnston and Kevin Webster smacked the loose ball off the cross-bar.

Academy fought to the end with a 40 yard surging run by Cunningham resulting in his shot being blocked on the line, and the last attack a Stewart Ross deep cross to the back post was just too high for Weir as he looked to nod it home.

Full Time 2 - 0

Academy were due to play Inverurie next Saturday, but with the Locos in Scottish Cup action we have a free weekend. Our next scheduled game is away to Clach on the 26th November.