HL Roundup - 12th Nov 2011

Highland League round-up
Saturday November 12th
No way through for Scorries as Cove go third

Academy's longest trip of the season ended in disappointment as they were beaten 2-0 by Cove Rangers at Allan Park, a result that allowed the home side to move into third place in the Highland League table.

There was no way back for Davie Kirkwood's men after they conceded two goals inside the opening half-hour. Academy did have good spells of possession but just couldn't find a way through the well-drilled Cove defence.

The opener came after 14 minutes when Danny Milne slipped the ball through to Jordan Leyden, who took a touch before placing it under the advancing Alan Bokas.

The Scorries' task became doubly difficult after 28 minutes when Leyden's low cross was diverted into the net by Milne.

Academy almost reduced the deficit early in the second half when Sam Mackay evaded a challenge and sent a curling left-foot shot just wide. Stevie Cunningham then had a good shot on target but it was gathered by keeper Stuart McKenzie.

With less than 10 minutes to go, substitute Gary Weir picked out Cunningham who was one-on-one with McKenzie but the Cove keeper spread himself to block the shot. Then Cunningham fired a shot over the bar after being set up by Stewart Ross.

At the other end, Bokas and his defenders had to work hard to prevent Cove increasing their lead, and there was a let-off when Kevin Webster smacked a loose ball off the crossbar.

In the dying stages a surging run by Cunningham ended in his shot being blocked on the line.

Forres Mechanics' 100 per cent home record came to an end as they twice battled back from a goal down to earn a 2-2 draw with double champions Buckie Thistle.

The Jags opened the scoring through Paul Napier just before the half-hour mark, with Lee Fraser getting Forres back on level terms three minutes after the break. Craig MacMillan restored the visitors' lead from the penalty spot midway through the second period, but the Can-Cans - who had gone into the game with a six-point lead at the top and having won all seven of their previous home fixtures - secured a share of the points when Fraser grabbed his second with 20 minutes to go.

Nairn County slipped to third after a goalless draw with Inverurie at Harlaw Park. Locos finished with 10 men after Clark Bain was red-carded.

Fourth-placed Lossiemouth kept up their impressive run with a 2-1 win against Turriff United at Grant Park. The home side were two up inside the first 10 minutes, courtesy of Nikki Smith and Kevin Grant. Donald Fraser pulled one back just before the half-hour mark but the Coasters held on.

Huntly eased to a 3-0 victory over Brora Rangers at Christie Park. Barry Somers got the opener midway through the first half, with Russell Guild and David Booth adding two more in the closing stages.

Fort William celebrated their first victory since Danny Conlon took over as manager as they beat Rothes 2-1 at Mackessack Park.

The Lochaber men took charge with goals from Danny Mackintosh and Sean Ellis inside a five-minute spell just before the interval. Stuart Massie reduced the deficit late in the game but Fort clung on for a rare away win.

Strathspey Thistle are now three points adrift at the foot of the table after being beaten 3-1 at home by Fraserburgh.

Scott Barbour put the Broch in front only for Fraser Munro to equalise. A second-half double by Allan Hale secured the points for Kris Hunter's side.

Academy's next opponents, Clachnacuddin, picked up a point in a 1-1 draw with Formartine United at North Lodge Park. Colin Robertson's opener for Formartine was cancelled out by Alan Pollok.

The Keith v Deveronvale match was abandoned in the second half due to floodlight failure at Kynoch Park with the Maroons leading 1-0.