HL Roundup - 30th Dec 2011

Highland League round-up
FridaySaturday December 30th31st
Cove cut Can-Cans' lead to two points

Cove Rangers moved to within two points of top spot in the Highland League after a comfortable 3-0 victory over 10-man Fraserburgh at Bellslea Park on Saturday.

The visitors were leading through a ninth-minute header from Paul Emslie when Fraserburgh's Ryan Christie was red-carded for a last-man foul shortly before half-time. A second-half double by Danny Milne, on 62 and 68 minutes, wrapped up the points for Cove.

The leaders, Forres Mechanics, suffered a setback in their title bid when they went down 2-1 to Nairn County at Station Park in one of five Friday night fixtures.

Steven Mackay put Nairn in front three minutes before half-time and Steven Ellis doubled their lead in the 70th minute. Willie Barron reduced the deficit with two minutes to go but Nairn held on to avenge their 4-0 hammering at Mosset Park a week earlier.

The Can-Cans' lead is now down to two points, although they have two games in hand over Cove.

Deveronvale twice came from behind to beat Buckie Thistle 3-2 at Princess Royal Park.

Buckie took the lead through Martin Charlesworth after 35 minutes only for Craig Cowie to equalise on the stroke of half-time. Jamie Shewan restored the Jags' advantage two minutes into the second half but Vale levelled things up again with a Scott Fraser spot-kick after 62 minutes.

The decisive goal came two minutes later when Shewan deflected a cross into his own net.

Inverurie Locos also had to come from behind before running out 3-1 winners over Huntly at Harlaw Park.

Huntly's Barry Somers opened the scoring from the penalty spot after 22 minutes but Locos were level three minutes later courtesy of Craig Ross. Andy Low put the home side ahead four minutes from the interval and he added his second of the night with seven minutes remaining.

Keith were another side who recovered from the loss of the opening goal to earn all three points as they overcame Lossiemouth 4-2 at Grant Park.

Nikki Smith netted the opener for Lossie midway through the first half but the Maroons were soon level through Cammy Keith and Jamie Lennox added their second just before half-time.

Kevin Flett got Lossie back on level terms early in the second period only for Sean Keith to produce an instant response to restore the visitors' lead. Cammy Keith rounded off the scoring on the hour mark.

Second-half goals by Jerry O'Driscoll and Gary Harris secured a 2-0 win for Turriff United in their tussle with Formartine United at The Haughs.

The wins for Deveronvale and Turriff allowed both those clubs to move above Wick Academy, with the Scorries dropping to 11th.

Academy's scheduled home clash with Brora Rangers was called off on Friday as Harmsworth Park was waterlogged. Two other fixtures - Strathspey Thistle v Rothes and Fort William v Clach - also fell victim to the weather.

Highland League fixtures for Saturday, January 7: Brora Rangers v Deveronvale; Buckie Thistle v Fort William; Clachnacuddin v Fraserburgh; Cove Rangers v Turriff United; Formartine United v Nairn County; Forres Mechanics v Inverurie Locos; Huntly v Lossiemouth; Keith v Strathspey Thistle; Wick Academy v Rothes.