HL Roundup - 10th March 2012

Highland League round-up
Saturday March 10th
Gethins too hot to handle on day to forget for Academy

Academy slumped to a 5-0 defeat at Station Park as they found Nairn County's Conor Gethins too hot to handle. The Irish striker hit a hat-trick and Steven Mackay weighed in with a double.

It was the first time the Scorries had conceded five in a game for more than a year, and the first time they'd lost by a five-goal margin since May 2010.

The opener came in 11 minutes when Gethins took a pass from Glenn Main and struck a 25-yard effort which flew past Michael Gray. The Academy keeper was beaten again after 22 minutes when Gethins found the net with a curling free kick.

The former Finn Harps, Ross County and Peterhead hitman completed his treble in the 59th minute when he nodded in a cross from Robbie Duncanson. Mackay increased the lead with a tap-in four minutes later.

Nairn were reduced to 10 men when their captain David Hind was red-carded for pulling back Davie Allan. Sam Mackay hit the bar with the resultant free kick but there was to be no way through for Academy.

It got worse for Davie Kirkwood's side when Steven Mackay added his second of the afternoon in stoppage time.

The result allowed Nairn to move above Academy into eighth place in the table.

Forres Mechanics' title hopes suffered a setback as Clach snatched a 1-1 draw at Mosset Park. Kyle Scott put the Can-Cans in front on 22 minutes but Sam Urquhart grabbed the equaliser 11 minutes into the second half.

Cove took the opportunity to reclaim top spot as they came from behind to beat Formartine United 3-1 at North Lodge Park.

Stuart Soane gave the home side a 10th-minute lead but Cove took charge in the second period as Formartine found themselves reduced to nine men.

Paul Emslie volleyed in the equaliser a minute after the break and he added another in the 70th minute after Formartine's Neil McVitie had been sent off for a second bookable offence.

Colin Robertson was then shown a straight red before Ryan Stott wrapped up the points for Cove with three minutes left.

Third-placed Buckie Thistle continued their revival with a 3-0 away victory over 10-man Huntly, all the goals coming in the closing half-hour.

The Jags made the breakthrough on 62 minutes when Huntly captain Grant Campbell was sent off for a last-man foul on Shawn Scott inside the box. Zander Sutherland tucked away the spot-kick.

Martin Charlesworth doubled Buckie's lead after 70 minutes and Neil Davidson completed the scoring in stoppage time.

Fraserburgh were the day's highest scorers with an emphatic 6-1 away win against Lossiemouth. Lossie took the lead through Nikki Smith but the Broch hit back with goals from Scott Barbour (2), Mark Cowie, Graham Johnston, Dean Cowie (penalty) and Ryan Christie.

Fraserburgh stay fourth, just ahead of Deveronvale who beat Rothes 2-0 at Mackessack Park.

The Speysiders were awarded a penalty early on but Michael McKinnon sent his spot-kick over the bar. Scott Henry opened the scoring for Vale after 20 minutes, and Mike McKenzie showed McKinnon how it should be done when he netted a penalty just before the hour mark.

Keith eased to a 4-0 victory over Brora at Kynoch Park. Brora kept the Maroons at bay for three-quarters of the match, but the home side took control after Craig McGovern's opener and they added further goals through Sean Keith, Cammy Keith and Dean Donaldson.

Inverurie were 4-1 winners against Turriff at Harlaw Park. Locos' goals came from Mark Young, Neil Gauld (penalty), Andy Hutchison (own goal) and Clark Bain, with Dave McKenzie pulling one back for Turriff.

In the basement battle, Strathspey Thistle came from behind to beat Fort William 2-1 at Seafield Park. Darren Quigg put the Lochaber outfit ahead but the Grantown Jags responded with goals from Mateusz Bobrowski and Joe Hardie.