WAFC 4 - Orkney AFA 0

Mackay at the double as Academy win
another pre-season friendly

Academy played the second game in their run of pre-season friendlies today and were given a good match by Orkney A.F.A. Richard Macadie had his first run-out of the season and Lukasz Geruzel started the game as a trialist.

Academy started the game playing up the Harmsworth slope and within 4 minutes Ross played the ball into the feet of Geruzel who in turn played a short pass to Davie Allan who wriggled into the box and played a great ball across the face of goal but there were no takers for getting onto the end of it.

Orkney managed to snuff out each Academy attacking move until the 23rd minute when the ball was played long to Geruzel who held it up before turning it round the corner for Davie Allan to run onto. He set up Macadie but just as he was about to pull the trigger Darren MacLean nicked the ball off his toes and cleared the danger.

A minute later McKiddie floated a perfect ball out wide to the left flank for Macadie and he ran forward with the ball and looked to pick his spot in the top right hand corner but he sent his shot just wide of target.

10 minutes before the half-time break Sinclair took a throw-in on the left to Macadie. He slid the ball into the box for Geruzel but he scuffed his shot straight to keeper Paul Bain.

In the last attack of the half Cunningham fired a corner from the right into the box and Geruzel rose for a free header but couldn't direct his attempt on target and it went over the top of the Orkney cross-bar.

Half Time 0 - 0

Kirkwood made three changes for the start of the second half with James More, Sam Mackay and Ross Allan coming on for Michael Gray, Stevie Cunningham and Stuart Florence.

Mackay was immediately in the thick of things with his first involvement when he smacked a shot from the edge of the box off the back of defender Erik Bews for a corner.

2 minutes later Mackay fired a 40 yard pass across field into the path of Macadie who powered into the box before squaring the ball to Geruzel but he couldn't get any power in his shot and keeper Bain made a comfortable save.

It took 51 minutes for the Scorries to beak the dead-lock with a peach of a goal. It came as a long ball caught out the Orkney back-line and Mackay got onto the end of it 20 yards from goal and with a half-volley lobbed keeper Bain who was 5 or 6 yards off his line.

1 - 0

This was followed within the space of a minute with two attempts from Davie Allan and Geruzel both coming off the wood-work as Academy pushed to increase their lead.

Academy's second however was not long in the making as Grant Steven pounced on a loose ball in the middle of the Orkney penalty area and he made no mistake in slotting home.

2 - 0

Academy were now starting to control the game and their 3rd came in the 62nd minute. Macadie was released down the left flank and delivered the ball to the feet of Mackay who strolled into the box, committed keeper Bain and slotted home into the bottom corner of the net for his second goal of the game.

3 - 0

Davie Allan was substituted for Gary Weir a minute later and within 6 minutes of being on the park Weir received the ball with back to goal in the middle of the Orkney penalty area and turned on a  dime and blasted home.

4 - 0

Geruzel set up Weir for another attempt with 4 minutes of play left but Weir's attempt found the woodwork and rolled to safety.

Orkney's had been limited to a fairly few long range attempts for the duration of the game but their best chance came in the last attacking move of the match when James Pickles hit a belter of a curling shot 20 yards from goal and it looked destined for the top corner but just shaved the outside of the post.

Full Time 4 - 0