HL Roundup - 8th September 2012

Highland League round-up
Saturday September 8th
  Academy Hit Back To Win Eight-Goal Thriller

A turbulent week for Wick Academy ended with a rollercoaster of a match in which the Scorries fought back from being two goals down to beat Lossiemouth 5-3 at Harmsworth Park.

The headlines over the preceding days had all been about the Davie Kirkwood controversy - but on Saturday attention was focused firmly on events on the pitch as Academy and Lossie served up an action-packed encounter which involved two missed penalties and a red card as well as those eight goals.

Scott Miller put Lossie in front on 10 minutes and Finlay Stables doubled their lead 10 minutes later after Miller had seen a spot-kick well saved by Michael Gray.

Academy forced their way back into it after 32 minutes when a Ross Allan effort was bundled into his own net by keeper Michael Miele.

Six minutes later it was 2-2 as Davie Allan blasted a shot in off the crossbar after a neat exchange with Gary Weir.

Colin Charlesworth put the visitors back in front five minutes into the second half while Academy were down to 10 men as Ross Allan received treatment for a knock. That was the 13th goal conceded by the Scorries in their last three league outings.

Within three minutes they were level again, though, Weir thumping the ball in from close range.

Lossie's Stephen McKenzie was sent off on 65 minutes after bringing down Davie Allan in the box but Macadie's spot-kick came off the outside of Miele's right post.

Academy took the lead for the first time when Joe Steven headed home at the back post after 83 minutes and Macadie made the points safe in stoppage time with a cool finish.

Cove Rangers were 3-2 winners over Clachnacuddin in the top-of-the-table encounter at Allan Park.

Headers by Jamie Beagrie and Martin Johnston either side of the half-hour mark gave Cove a two-goal lead at the break. Gordon Morrison reduced the deficit eight minutes into the second half but Danny Milne volleyed home a third for Cove with just over a quarter of an hour remaining.

Paul Brindle pulled another one back for Clach but the league leaders held on for all three points.

It was honours even between Rothes and Turriff United at Mackessack Park. Ross Anderson gave Turriff a second-minute lead but Jamie Blackhall equalised from the penalty spot 10 minutes later.

Blackhall added his second of the afternoon midway through the first half only for Paul Campbell to level things up shortly before the hour mark and it finished 2-2.

Huntly romped to a 7-1 victory over Strathspey Thistle at Christie Park after the visitors had taken a surprise lead.

Sandis Reinsons put the Granton Jags in front only for Huntly to draw level through a Terry Swinton own goal. The home side then ran riot with Lukasz Stasiak helping himself to a hat-trick and Andrzej-Slawomir Kleczkowski weighing in with a double, with David Booth adding a penalty.

Nairn County's Michael Morrison came back to haunt his former club as his second-half equaliser earned a 1-1 draw at Buckie.

The Jags played most of the match with 10 men after Gary Clark was red-carded midway through the first period. At that stage they were ahead through Zander Sutherland's 19th-minute strike but Morrison levelled with a header on 62 minutes.

A double from Hamish Munro helped Formartine United to a 5-1 win at Fort William. Kevin Webster, Mike Ewen and Calum Dingwall were also on target for the Pitmedden side, with Scott Hunter pulling one back for Fort.

An own goal by Inverurie Locos' Ryan Broadhurst was enough to give Deveronvale a 1-0 win at Harlaw Park.

Scott Barbour struck twice as Fraserburgh eased to a 3-0 victory over Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park. Graham Johnston got the other.

In the Friday night fixture, Forres Mechanics' stuttering start to the season continued as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Keith at Mosset Park. Kyle Scott headed the Can-Cans in front midway through the first half but Cammy Keith's late penalty ensured a share of the points.