HL Roundup - 10th April 2013

Highland League round-up
Wednesday April 10th
Scorries drop to 3rd as front-runners take advantage of games in hand

Academy were not in action in the schedule of mid-week games, and dropped to 3rd in the table as Clachnacuddin, Cove Rangers, Formartine and Nairn all recorded wins.

Clach climbed into second sport with a comfortable 3-0 win away to Buckie Thistle. Two first-half goals from Scott Graham and Blair Lawrie had the visitors in the box-seat at half-time and a Colin Williamson strike early in the second-half sealed the 3 points to keep Clach well in the mix for the title.

A Connor Scully winner was enough to give Cove Rangers a 1-0 win over visitors Huntly, and the 3 points kept them at the top of the table.

Steve Paterson's Formartine United kept the pressure on the leading pack as they inflicted a 5-0 win over visitors Rothes. They remain favourites for the league title as they continue to win their games in hand. Paul Napier, Callum Bagshaw, Michael Ewen and Callum Dingwall all netted in the first half to put Formartine on easy-street, and man of the match Paul Napier completed the nap-hand two minutes from full-time for his second of the match.

Nairn County remain in 5th spot in the table with a narrow 1-0 victory over strugglers Strathspey Thistle. This was a one-sided affair with Nairn having the vast majority of possession and chances, but the home side could only hit the net once with the first half winner from Sean Ellis coming 6 minutes before the half-time break when he marched through the Strathspey defence and slotted home.

Inverurie Locos travelled to Keith and ran out 4-2 winners. Keith were dominant in the early stages and Locos took the lead against the run of play when Neil Gauld netted 2 minutes before half-time. Worse was to come for the home side as Gauld then bagged his second a minute later right on the half-time whistle. Clark Bain and Jack Strachan increased the lead to 4 before Craig Macaskill pulled one back for the home side. Cammy Keith then converted a penalty deep into injury time, but it was too little too late.

Fraserburgh welcomed Deveronvale to the Broch and both teams observed a minutes silence before kick-off as a mark of respect to Alan Scott. 61 year old Scott had sadly died of a heart-attack earlier in the week, and in his playing career he'd played for both teams, as well as Managing the Vale. The match was goalless at half-time, but the hosts took the lead 5 minutes into the second-half when Scott Barbour headed home a Zac Connway cross. Courtney Cooper, Ryan Cowie and John Willox completed the scoring for Fraserburgh to give them a comfortable win.

Lossiemouth welcomed Turriff United and Turriff secured the 3 points with a 3-1 win. The result lifted Turriff above Buckie Thistle into 13th place. Gary Harris opened the scoring for Turra on 18 minutes and Lossiemouth's task was made even more difficult when they had to replace defenders Chris Ross and Jamie McKinnon with injuries in the first-half. Two second-half goals in as many minutes from Harris and Darren McAllister made the points secure, although the home side pulled a consolation back through Matty Davidson 7 minutes from full-time.