Fraserbugh 1 - WAFC 2 (HLC)

 7th February 2015 - Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup (R1)  Bellslea Park
 Fraserburgh F.C.

  1 (Graham Johnston 73) 

fraserburgh_ZeusTeam: Scott Cowe, Marc Dixon, Russell McBride(P A Bruce 48), Ryan Cowie, Bryan Hayrcard, Courtney Couper, Mark Cowie, William West, John Chalmers, Graham Johnstonycard, Scott Barbour.

Subs: P A Bruce, Cameron Buchan, Jordi Walker, Grant Noble, Joe Barbour.

  Wick Academy F.C.

 2 (Steven Anderson 26, Richard Macadie 63 Pen) 

wickacademy_nike_awayTeam: Sean McCarthy, Michael Steven, Gary Mansonycard, Alan Farquhar, Grant Steven, James Pickles, Ross Allan, Steven Andersonycard(Alan Hughes 92), Davie Allan, Richard Macadie, Lukasz Geruzel(Gary Weir 75).

Subs: James More, Gary Weir, Alan Hughes.

 Referee:  Graham Beaton
 Bookings:  Gary Manson 26
 Steven Anderson 35
 Graham Johnston 40
 Bryan Hay 62, 78 (Red)
 Reporter:  Luke Bunch

Academy marched into the second round of the Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup today with a fine 2-1 win over Fraserburgh at Bellslea. It was Academy's first game since the 13th of December.

A goal from Steven Anderson and a Richard Macadie penalty had the Scorries in the ascendancy but the Broch fought back through Graham Johnston to set up a cracking final quarter. Bryan Hay then got his marching orders for a second bookable offence and the home side finished the game with only 10 men on the park.

Both sides had key players missing today. Fraserburgh were without the services of Ryan Christie and Steven Davidson. Academy had Sam Mackay and Grant Campbell out through suspension, Jack Halliday was injured and Stevie Cunningham was unavailable.

The first 20 minutes was contested mainly in the mid-field and it was Academy that opened the scoring in the 26th minute. The Scorries broke up the left flank and Steven Anderson got into the box. He got a shot on target that was blocked by the Broch keeper Scott Cowe. The ball fell to Lukasz Geruzel who laid it back to Anderson. His shot was cleared off the line but it fell to him again on the edge of the box and he rifled home a first time shot into the bottom left hand corner for his first Highland League Cup goal.

0 - 1

10 minutes later Fraserburgh had a good chance. A free kick was floated into the Academy box by Bryan Hay. The ball was flicked onto the back post to John Chalmers but his looping header was well caught and held under the crossbar by Sean McCarthy.

Half Time - Fraserburgh 0 - Wick Academy 1

Three minutes into the second half Kris Hunter made his first change with P A Bruce coming on for Russell McBride. The change almost resulted in a goal when the ball was played to Bruce at the back post but Sean McCarthy tipped his effort over the bar for a corner.

On the hour mark Fraserburgh had two chances to level the scores. Graham Johnston create the first chance when he cut the ball back to Ryan Cowie who played it into the feet of Scott Barbour. Barbour scuffed his shot and McCarthy saved it.

A cross from the right then found Cowie unmarked in the box and his brilliant over-head kick hit the post and McCarthy gathered the ball on his line.

On 62 minutes Steven Anderson broke into the Fraserburgh box and he was taken down by Bryan Hay. Hay was booked and referee Graham Beaton awarded Academy a penalty kick. Richard Macadie claimed the ball and cool as you like he sent the keeper the wrong way firing into the opposite bottom corner of the net.

0 - 2

Fraserburgh kept on the attack and created another chance 2 minutes later. A corner from the right found Bryan Hay in the box but his attempt crashed back off the post and his shot from the re-bound was deflected wide for a corner.

With 17 minutes left on the clock Fraserburgh pulled themselves right back into the tie. They won a free kick 25 yards from the Academy goal that was fired on target by Graham Johnston but McCarthy managed to tip it over the cross-bar for a corner. The resulting corner could only be cleared to the edge of the box by Lukasz Geruzel where it fell back to Graham Johnston. He took a touch and curled a great effort into the top right hand corner of the net.

1 - 2

That set up a grand-stand finish and in Fraserburgh's next attack Johnston had a goal chalked off for off-side.

With 12 minutes left to play Bryan Hay picked up his second booking of the game and the Broch went down to 10 men.

Despite having a man short the home side created another chance. Johnston was at the heart of every Fraserburgh move and he crossed from the left to the back post. The ball was headed back to the penalty spot but Courtney Cooper slid his attempt wide of the target.

Up the other end of the park and it was Academy's turn to get on the attack. Macadie and substitute Weir had a neat interchange before Weir slid a great pass into the feet of Anderson but his left foot shot was saved by keeper Cowe.

The final minutes seemed like a life-time but Academy held on for a tremendous win that puts them in the hat for the second round of the Highland League Cup for the first time since season 2008/09.

Full Time - Fraserburgh 1 - Wick Academy 2