Cove Rangers 1 - WAFC 0

 5th March 2016 - Scottish Highland Football League  Harlaw Park
 Cove Rangers F.C.

  1 (Harry Milne 32)

coverangers_adidasTeam: Stuart McKenzie, Alan Redford, Harry Milne, Blair Yule, Stuart Walker, Darryn Kelly, Daniel Parkycard(Roy McBain 83), Stuart Duff(Stirling Smith 69), Daryl Nicol, Jonathan Smith(Connor Scully 60), Sam Burnettycard.

Subs: Jamie Watt, Roy McBain, Stirling Smith, Connor Scully, Dean Donaldson, Dean Lawrie, John McCafferty. 

  Wick Academy F.C.


WAFC_New_Front_wTeam: Sean McCarthy, Gary Manson, Grant Steven(James McLean 62), Alan Farquhar, Danny Mackayycard, Ross Allan, Sam Mackayycard, James Pickles, Richard Macadie(Marc MacGregor 80), Steven Anderson, Davie Allan.

Subs: Colin Macrae, James McLean, Gary Weir, Marc MacGregor, Alan Hughes, Danny McCarthy.

 Referee:  Graham Beaton
 Bookings:  Danny Mackay 39
 Daniel Park 82
 Sam Burnett 84
 Sam Mackay 90
 Reporter:  Luke Bunch

Academy made the trip to Harlaw Park today to face Cove Rangers without the services of Michael Steven who sits out the first of a three game suspension following his mid-week sending of against Nairn County. Good news however with Gary Weir having completed his five game suspension and he started today's game on the bench. For Cove Grant Campbell was injured so he also missed out in the match-up against his fellow team-mates.

Academy almost opened the scoring within the first minute. Richard Macadie played a long ball over the top of the Cove defence to Davie Allan. The ball held up on the surface but Allan pushed forward to the edge of the box. Keeper Stuart McKenzie came out to meet him, but Allan lifted his attempt over him and the crossbar.

Daryl Nicol had a shot that took a deflection for a corner. James Pickles then won a mid-field scrap for the ball and played in Richard Macadie, but Macadie's shot went straight to keeper McKenzie.

Sean McCarthy kept the scores to zero when he tipped a Jonathan Smith shot around his post for another Cove corner.

On the half-hour the home side probably should have taken the lead. Jonathan Smith delivered a cross into the Academy box. Ross Allan went to clear it but slipped due to the tricky under-foot surface allowing the ball to go through to Stuart Duff who had time to take it down but fired it straight to McCarthy in the Wick Goal.

Academy then had a strong shout for a penalty when a Sam Mackay shot looked to have hit Stuart Walker on the arm, but referee Graham Beaton waved away the protests.

On 32 minutes Cove however broke the dead-lock. A scramble in the Academy box saw the ball fall to Harry Milne and from 6 yards out he played it across goal and into the bottom corner of the net.

1 - 0

Half Time - Cove Rangers 1 - Wick Academy 0

11 minutes into the second half and Cove had an opportunity to increase their lead. Gary Manson lost the ball out on the right touch-line and it was played into Jonathan Smith just inside the Academy box. He teed up Daryl Nicol but from 13 yards out he blazed over the crossbar.

Cove created another good chance. A high long cross into the Academy box found Daryl Nicol with his back to goal. He laid it off to substitute Stirling Smith and his deflected shot was well saved by McCarthy.

Academy almost pulled level. Ross Allan took a throw-in on the left to Sam Mackay. Mackay played it back to Allan and he swung it into the back post. Richard Macadie tracked the ball and got his shot off but keeper McKenzie rushed over and blocked at the post.

Roy McBain came on for Daniel Park and he almost made the most of a poor clearing kick-out from Sean McCarthy returning it from 35 yards out and watched as it bounced just past the outside of the post.

Full Time - Cove Rangers 1 - Wick Academy 0