Brora Rangers 4 - Wick Academy 1

 7th March 2020 - Breedon Highland Football league
  Brora Rangers FC  4 (Greg Morrison 10, 32, 74, Alan Farquhar 79)

fortwilliam nikeTeam: Joe Malin, Tom Kelly, John Picklesycard, Colin Williamson, Mark Nicolson, Dale Gillsepie, Greg Morrison, Martin Macleanycard(Neil Macdonald 83), Jordan Macrae (Andrew Macrae 15), James Wallace (Bjorn Wagenaar 75), Paul Brindle.

Subs: Bjorn Wagenaar, Andrew Macrae, Steven Mackay, Neil Macdonald.

  Wick Academy FC
  1 (Sam Mackay 60)

WAFC Home Shirt 18 19Team: Gordon Clark, Alan Hughes, Ross Allanycard, Alan Farquhar, Danny Mackay, Sam Mackay (Ben Sinclair 80), Ryan Campbell, Jack Henry (Richard Macadie 65), Jack Hallidayycard, David Allan, Craig Gunnycard(Mark Macadie 65).

Subs: Ben Sinclair, Richard Macadie, Mark Macadie, Grant Aitkenhead, Gordon MacNab, Jonah Martens, James More.

 Referee:   Scott Leslie
 Bookings:   Martin Maclean (26)
  Craig Gunn (26)
  Jack Halliday - Red (73)
  John Pickles (85)
  Ross Allan (88)
 Reporter   Alan Hendry - Caithness Courier
 Match Photos - Mel & Bob Roger   Match Photos - To Follow
 Match Highlights   Match highlights

Gary Manson and Stewart Ross took charge of their first game today following a run of four games that have been postponed due to the bad weather. Brora kept their title challenge on course with a 4-1 win.

Greg Morrison had the home side 2-0 up going in at half time, his second was a 20 yard screamer, before Sam Mackay pulled one back on the hour mark with a fine strike from 18 yards. 

With Academy still in the game at that point Jack Halliday got a straight red card when he took out Morrison on the edge of the Academy box whilst trying to recover from a bad cross-field pass.

Morrison went on to claim a hattrick and Academy were unlucky with an attempt coming off the woodwork.

Brora's 4th was an own-goal off the head of Alan Farquhar from a corner kick.

Wick’s new management duo, Gary Manson and Stewart Ross, would have wanted to keep Brora at bay for as long as possible but the opener came after nine minutes. Jordan Macrae slipped a clever ball through the Wick defence and Morrison poked it first-time past Gordon Clark.

Macrae’s involvement was cut short six minutes later when he fell awkwardly and went over an ankle.

Morrison doubled his tally on 33 minutes with a screamer from outside the right edge of the penalty area.

Half Time - Brora Rangers 2 - Wick Academy 0

The second period began with Academy showing more urgency and Davie Allan was typically proving to be a handful as he ran at the Brora defence.

Most of the action was happening in the Brora half and Academy earned a succession of corners. It was from one of these, on 59 minutes, that they deservedly pulled a goal back.

Brora couldn’t clear properly from another Ross Allan delivery and when the ball fell to Sam Mackay on the edge of the box he fired a left-foot shot into the corner of the net.

Danny Mackay tried a speculative effort from long range which was deflected over for yet another Academy corner.

Then, after 73 minutes, Jack Halliday misjudged a cross-field ball which was instantly picked up by Morrison. As the Brora forward charged towards goal, the backtracking Halliday was over-zealous in seeking to atone for his error and his foul on Morrison just outside the box brought a red card from referee Scott Leslie.

Brora put the outcome beyond any doubt on 75 minutes. Substitute Andrew Macrae played the ball across the box to Morrison, who had time to steady himself before sending a low drive beyond Clark.

Brora’s fourth arrived with 10 minutes to go when Alan Farquhar diverted a header into his own net from a corner.

Wick came close on 87 minutes when substitute Richard Macadie sent a free kick into the box. It looked net-bound until Joe Malin produced a superb reflex save to tip the ball onto the underside of the bar.

Full Time - Brora Rangers 4 - Wick Academy 1