Nairn County 2
Wick Academy 1

Nairn County 

2 - 1

Wick Academy

Saturday, September 1st, 2007
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

William Barron (67)
William Barron (70)
Sean Henstridge (25)

Team Managers
Unknown. Ian Munro & Richard Hughes

Starting Eleven
John Campbell
Martin Sanderson
Steven Skinner
Darren Jarvie
Neil Macdonald
Steven Edwards
Martin Macdonald
Wayne MacKintosh
Brian Macleod
William Barron
Shaun Kerr
James More
Alan Sinclair
Stuart Sinclair
Neil Traill
Gary Manson
Craig Shearer
Stewart Ross
Richard Macadie
Gary Farquhar
Bryan McKiddie
Sean Henstridge

Duncan Jones
Chris Finnigan
Glenn Main
Gregg Main
John Calder
Craig Thomson
Shaun Sinclair
John Seaton
Gary Weir

Chris Finnigan for Martin MacDonald (61)
Glenn Main for Neil MacDonald (82)
Gary Weir for Sean Henstridge (58)
John Seaton for Bryan McKiddie (75)
Shaun Sinclair for Stuart Sinclair (79)

Wayne Mackintosh (44)
Neil Macdonald (82)
Willie Barron (93)
Craig Shearer (75)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Cammy Mackay (Referee)

Match Report

A disappointment for Academy coming away from Station Park empty-handed after a 3 minute spell in the second half saw Willie Barron snatch the points for Nairn County. Academy had been controlling the game up unto that point, leading from Sean Henstridge’s first goal for the Scorries in the 25th minute.

Barron showed his intent from the start of the game as early as the 4th minute as he raced through the Academy defence trying to get onto the end of a high ball, but More was sharp off his line and beat him to the ball.

3 minutes later and Barron again found himself in the Academy box, this time he managed to get a first time shot at a crossed ball, but side-footed it to More who collected comfortably.

It was 15 minutes before Academy had their first sniff of goal. Manson made good ground up the left wing and forced a corner-kick. Macadie swung the ball into the back post and Stewart Ross rose above the defence but sent his header just over the cross-bar.

Nairn went straight back up the field and Barron did well to hold off Alan Sinclair before squaring the ball to Brian Macleod who had a curling shot at goal from 20 yards, but the ball just drifted past Mores left hand post.

Academy took the lead in the 25th minute. Gary Manson delivered a cross into the box that fell to Gary Farquhar. He scuffed his shot but the ball dropped nicely for Sean Henstridge and he evaded John Campbell and slotted home from 4 yards out.
Henstridge celebrates his goal - Photo ATH Rosssean_celebrate

0 – 1

3 minutes later Nairn had a good attempt at levelling the score-line. Brian Macleod pinched the ball off the feet of young Bryan McKiddie and whipped a dangerous cross into the Academy box. It took a ricochet off the out-rushing Academy defence and fell again to Macleod who hit it on the half-volley but More got down well to make the save.

With 4 minutes of the half left Shaun Kerr almost capitalised on a mistake from More, as he spilled a crossed ball. He recovered however just in time to grab the ball as Kerr was poised to pull the trigger.

The last attack of the half saw Academy almost extend their lead. McKiddie delivered a good cross into the Nairn box which skimmed off the head of Henstridge and fell to Macadie but his goal-bound shot was blocked by Martin Sanderson.

Half Time 0 – 1

Nairn started the second half on the attack. Willie Barron got the better of Neil Traill and flashed a shot across the face of goal that More just managed to get finger-tips to and that deflected it enough to deny Shaun Kerr a tap-in at the back post.

With 10 minutes of the second half played Academy again came close to extending their lead. Macadie stormed up the wing and crossed for Manson at the back-post but he couldn’t get enough power on the ball and side-footed his first-time attempt into John Campbell’s mid-drift.
Stewart Ross wins the ball against Steven Edwards - Photo ATH Rossstewart_nairn

3 minutes later and the Scorries were on the attack again and were awarded a free-kick about 30 yards from goal when Steven Edwards was adjudged to have fouled Gary Manson. Farquhar delivered an inch-perfect free-kick to the back post that Stewart Ross got his head to, but he couldn’t direct it on target and it whistled just wide of Campbell’s left hand post.

Both sides made personnel changes either sided of the hour mark. Gary Weir coming on for Sean Henstridge and Martin Macdonald replaced by Chris Finnigan.

Weir was less than 5 minutes on the park before he was involved in another promising Academy attack. Manson supplying the cross from the wing, for Weir to control and square to the on-running McKiddie but his attempt went straight to keeper Campbell.

With Nairn now playing 3 men up-front they levelled the scores with 67 minutes on the clock. Academy gave the ball away cheaply from a throw-in, and Shaun Kerr flicked a Flannigan cross for Barron who intersected the Academy defence, beat More to the ball and drilled it home from 10 yards.

1 – 1

3 minutes later and Nairn completed their smash and grab of all 3 points. Macadie gave the ball away in mid-field and Willie Barron marched through the middle of the park before unleashing a dipping shot from all of 30 yards out that sailed over the top of an out-stretched More into the top corner of the net.

1 – 2

Neil Macdonald almost added insult to injury a few minutes later when he drove at the Academy defence before letting fly with a 30 yard drive that just whistled past Mores right hand post.

More took route 1 from the goal-kick and Gary Farquhar almost caught the Nairn defence napping with a curling snap-shot, but it was just high of target.

With 5 minutes left Stewart Ross almost rescued a point. Macadie rolled the ball into his path and from 25 yards out he hit a rocket-drive that shaved the top of the Nairn cross-bar.

Full Time 1 – 2

Richard Hughes said after the game “I feel sorry for the guys coming away from that game with nothing. We’ve had to change a lot of personnel around in the last few weeks between injuries and one thing and another, and I though we played some good stuff and controlled the bulk of the game. The first half in particular we looked comfortable and if we had taken another of our chances I feel we would have killed the game. We had 3 minutes of madness in the second half with us giving the ball away cheaply that lead to both goals. Barron’s second goal was opportunist, but he saw the chance and it paid off for him, so you have to give him credit for that. We will learn though from our mistakes, and we won’t dwell on this as we have an important game on Tuesday night in the cup semi-final. It’ll be a tough game I’m sure, but I really believe the boys have it in them to win it, and it would be great for them and the club if we could get into the final.”

Match report written by John Briskham

Squad Statistics (as at September 1st, 2007)

2007/2008 All Time
James More (GK)18 7 - 38 -
Alan Sinclair - 7 - 16811
Neil Traill - 5 - 333
Stuart Sinclair - 3 - 17 -
Gary Farquhar - 639023
Richard Macadie20 51687
Stewart Ross - 718510
Craig Shearer - 6126528
Gary Manson23 7221420
Sean Henstridge - 5191
Bryan McKiddie - 7 - 20 -
Shaun Sinclair (sub) - 4 - 54 -
John Seaton (sub) - 1 - 1 -
Gary Weir (sub)10 4510923

League Table (as at September 1st, 2007)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Inverurie Locos 3 3 0 0 +5 9
2. Nairn County 3 3 0 0 +4 9
3. Keith 3 2 1 0 +4 7
4. Deveronvale 3 2 0 1 +6 6
5. Buckie Thistle 3 2 0 1 +3 6
6. Forres Mech 3 1 1 1 +1 4
7. WICK 4 1 1 2 0 4
8. Clachnacuddin 3 1 1 1 -1 4
9. Huntly 3 1 1 1 -2 4
10. Cove Rangers 2 1 0 1 +6 3
11. Fraserburgh 2 1 0 1 -2 3
12. Brora Rangers 4 0 2 2 -4 2
13. Rothes 3 0 1 2 -2 1
14. Fort William 2 0 0 2 -9 0
15. Lossiemouth 3 0 0 3 -9 0

Manager's Programme Notes

Well done to Sean Henstridge who scored his first Academy goal today.