Wick Academy 2
Formartine Utd 2

Wick Academy
2 - 2
Formartine Utd 

Saturday, May 22nd, 2010
Harmsworth Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

David Cowie (48)
Sam Mackay (65)
Barry Somers (17)
Mark Simpson (72)

Team Managers
Ian Munro & Richard Hughes
John Gardiner

Starting Eleven
James More
Andrew MacLeod
Sam Mackay
Alan Farquhar
Gary Manson
Stevie Cunningham
Richard Macadie
Craig Shearer
David Allan
Gary Weir
David Cowie
Scott Chalmers
Stuart Cumming
Mark Simpson
James Sievewright
Ally Graham
Scott Morrison
Barry Somers
Pat Vigurs
Marc Young
Stuart McKay
Andrew Bagshaw

Allan Bokas
Alex Lamb
Martin Gunn
Ross Allan
Ciaran Duffy
Callum Irvine
Fraser Tait
Jack Taylor
Darren McGuiness
Stephen Boddie

Martin Gunn for David Cowie (79)
Ciaran Duffy for Gary Weir (85)
Callum Irvine for Scott Morrison (59)
Fraser Tait for Pat Vigurs (79)

David Cowie (57)
Andrew MacLeod (71)
Gary Weir (81)
James Sievewright (34)
Ally Graham (39)
James Sievewright (63)
Ally Graham (79)

Red Cards
None. James Sievewright 63)
Ally Graham (79)
Match Officials

Douglas Ross (Referee)

Match Report

Formartine visited the Harmsworth for the first time in their history today for the final game of the season. A dull, boring end of season affair, not a hint of it!! Barry Somers opened the scoring for the visitors in the 17th minute. That goal sent him to the top of the SHFL goal scoring charts with a total for the season of 30 in all competitions. Davie Cowie pulled the Scorries Level 3 minutes after the second half re-start. Formartine had James Sievewright sent off for his second bookable offence in the 63rd minute, and 2 minutes later Sam Mackay linked up with Richard Macdie and fired Academy into the lead. Formartine came back to level the scores with 18 minutes left to play when he scored from a corner kick. Ally Graham also picked up two bookings and joined his team-mate Sievewright with 10 minutes left, but neither team could increase the goal count and the game ended in 2-2 draw.

Academy finish the season in 9th spot in the table, and the point today was good enough to see Formartine in their inaugural season climb above Huntly to claim 6th place.

Academy served up some early excitement when Sam Mackay chipped the ball down the right and Richard Macadie ran past the visitors' defence before squaring it towards the penalty spot. David Allan, closely marked, allowed the ball to run through to Gary Weir whose drive flashed past the near post.

The visitors' first threat came in the 7th minute when Scott Morrison sent in a high cross from the right and Alan Farquhar leapt high to head it out of the area.

Play went quickly to the bottom end where Weir broke clear on the left but with the angle too tight for a shot opted to drive it across the face of the goal.

James More, reinstated in the Academy net, had to look lively in the 10th minute dashing 10 yards off his line to foil Andrew Bagshaw at point blank range. However, the Wick keeper had no chance in the 16th minute when Barry Somers netted his 30th goal of the season. As the ball fell near him from a clearance the Formartine striker spun at the edge of the box to fire a dipping volley high into the middle of the net.

Academy responded to this wake up call by mounting 20 minutes of incessant pressure, surging forward and playing perhaps their best passing football of the season. We saw keeper Scott Chalmers spread himself to block the ball when Allan was through one on one. The ball fell to Weir whose rebound effort was scrambled away only to Macadie who fired over the bar. We admired the high speed flicks and tricks from Mackay, the skilful midfield interceptions by Farquhar and Craig Shearer and a neat back heel by Macadie to the overlapping Stevie Cunningham. We cheered the determined efforts of Allan and bustling runs by David Cowie and Gary Manson who won corner kicks on the left which were cleared from the six yard box. Mackay and Weir saw efforts flash inches wide of the target. A trip by James Seivewright, caught out of position as Mackay raced past him down the Academy left, brought the first caution of the game but this and other free kicks were stoutly defended by the visitors who often had ten players back in defence.

Around the 35 minute mark Formartine succeeded in clearing the ball up the park where a Farquhar tackle put the ball in touch and More fisted away a Stuart McKay volley.

Allan wriggled past Mark Simpson on the right to set up Weir whose shot struck a defender. Ally Graham saw the second yellow card for tripping Cunningham and Shearer was close to heading in Manson's free kick at the back post. When Simpson nodded the ball back to keeper Chalmers, Allan nipped between them but flicked the ball wide so at the break Academy found themselves still a goal down.

Half Time 0 - 1

Within three minutes of the restart came a deserved equaliser. Manson sent a free kick up the left to Weir, ran on to the return pass and cut in along the goal line. Although his low cross was cleared it came to Macadie who swept it swiftly to the right for Shearer whose cross into the goal mouth reached Cowie who stooped low to head it into the net.

When Manson obstructed Morrison, Bagshaw's driven free kick was pushed away by More.

Allan cut in from a seemingly impossible angle up on the right to chip the ball curling in towards the back post where Chalmers slithered along his line to scoop it round the post. Macadie raced clear and shot wide but Seivewright argued too vehemently for offside and a second yellow card meant he had first shottie of the shower.

A fine passing move, the ball switched quickly from man to man culminated in Mackay exchanging passes with Macadie and steering a left foot shot past Chalmers to put Academy 2-1 up.

Allan and Cunningham were unable to convert chances for a third goal and then Chalmers sprinted forward to smother the ball at Macadie's feet just inside the 18 yard line.

Andrew MacLeod had won most battles with McKay but when he tackled the former Peterhead striker from behind he was booked and only a flying save from More kept out McKay's 22 yard pile driver free kick. From the ensuing corner on the left More punched the ball down but Simpson was close by to hook it into the net.

Spurred on the visitors looked for a winner. Bagshaw ran through but pulled his shot wide and then More denied McKay with another spectacular save.

A second yellow for Graham after tripping Cunningham saw Formartine down to nine men but it needed intelligent defending by Farquhar to block an effort from Irvine on the line and dribble the rebound away from McKay.

Academy had half chances for a late winner but Martin Gunn's cross was just too high even for six foot three Ciaran Duffy who was then unable to force his way past Simpson to connect with Shearer's forward pass.

Full Time 2 - 2

Wick co boss Richard Hughes said "In the first half especially we played some fantastic football. The boys kept the ball on the deck and moved it around really quickly. We didn't get just reward for our play and it was Formartine who got the only first half goal. We started the second half well and came back into the game. Then the build up to create Sam Mackay's goal was fantastic - beautiful to watch. They went down to ten men and then to nine but credit to Formartine they battled on and made a few chances. It was as though somebody had flicked a switch and turned us off. Maybe at 2-1 up against ten men our guys thought the game was over - for whatever reason we dropped and couldn't get ourselves back up again. It was a good exciting game for the fans to finish the season - we played some attractive football against a quality side."

Formartine boss John Gardiner was unhappy at losing two players to red cards but pleased to get the point which took his team into sixth place above Huntly. "I thought the two sendings off were very soft. Then our nine men worked so hard, they ran themselves into the ground and we could even have won the game near the end. We cannot be too disappointed to come to Wick and get a draw. Wick is a well organised team who play good football so overall we're delighted with the result. Looking back over a 34 game league season we gave away some silly points but to finish sixth at our first attempt bodes well and we'll be looking to make a few signings to strengthen the squad for next season."

Match report written by John Briskham

Squad Statistics (as at May 22nd, 2010)

2009/2010 All Time
James More (GK)21 6 - 87 -
Andrew MacLeod - 3412746
Alan Farquhar22 37 - 37 -
Sam Mackay21 34193419
Craig Shearer - 34835949
Richard Macadie23 441817650
Stevie Cunningham - 4277412
Gary Manson26 41131028
David Cowie - 19220312
Gary Weir12 38920362
David Allan20 42286031
Martin Gunn (sub) - 30438875
Ciaran Duffy (sub) - 4 - 6 -

League Table (as at May 22nd, 2010)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Buckie Thistle 34 26 5 3 +57 83
2. Cove Rangers 34 23 6 5 +55 75
3. Deveronvale 34 21 5 8 +44 68
4. Fraserburgh 34 21 5 8 +27 68
5. Forres Mech 34 20 5 9 +30 65
6. Formartine Utd 34 18 6 10 +28 60
7. Huntly 34 19 3 12 +17 60
8. Keith 34 17 6 11 +23 57
9. WICK 34 16 6 12 +15 54
10. Inverurie Locos 34 15 6 13 +13 51
11. Nairn County 34 15 5 14 +2 50
12. Clachnacuddin 34 12 7 15 0 43
13. Turriff United 34 9 4 21 -26 31
14. Lossiemouth 34 7 6 21 -22 27
15. Brora Rangers 34 6 6 22 -49 24
16. Rothes 34 7 3 24 -63 24
17. Fort William 34 6 2 26 -61 20
18. Strathspey 34 3 4 27 -90 13