Dalbeattie Star 1
Wick Academy 3
Scottish Cup (Round 1)

Dalbeattie Star 

1 - 3

Wick Academy

Scottish Cup (Round 1)
Saturday, September 24th, 2016
Islecroft Stadium
3:00 PM Kick-off

Tommy Muir (pen.) (70) James Pickles (21)
Richard Macadie (pen.) (40)
Steven Anderson (81)

Team Managers
Darren Kerr Gordon Connelly

Starting Eleven
Vinnie Parker
Ritchie Maxwell
Greig Thorburn
Danny Dunglinson
Lee Wells
James Baty
Tommy Muir
Connor Graham
Iain Anderson
Lewis Sloan
Jamie McHarrie
Sean McCarthy
Danny Mackay
Michael Steven
Grant Steven
Sam Mackay
Gary Manson
Alan Farquhar
Richard Macadie
James Pickles
Gary Weir
Steven Anderson

Lewis Todd
Curtiss Wilson
Steven Degnan
Craig Neill
Ally Mason
David Proudlock
Fraser Morton
Danny McCarthy
Andrew Hardwick
James McLean
Andrew Mackay
Marc MacGregor
Michael Petrie

Lewis Todd for Danny Dunglinson (46)
Steven Degan for Greig Thorburn (59)
Curtiss Wilson for Lee Wells (88)
Andrew Hardwick for Gary Weir (72)
Marc MacGregor for Richard Macadie (83)

Greig Thorburn (21)
Vinnie Paker (40)
Connor Graham (68)
Connor Graham (92)
Steven Anderson (66)

Red Cards
Lewis Sloan (48)
Connor Graham (92)

Match Officials

Duncan Williams (Referee)
John McCrossan & Elliot Walker (Assistants)

Match Report

Academy made the 700 mile round trip to Lowland League side Dalbeattie Star and the Scorries booked their place in the second round draw with a fine 3-1 win. Both Alan brothers were missing today, Davie was suspended and Ross is out injured after breaking a bone in his arm in last weekend's game against Nairn.

James Pickles set the ball rolling with the opener and Macadie doubled the lead with a penalty. The home side had Lewis Sloan sent off at the start of the second half, but a Tommy Muir penalty had them straight back in it on 70 minutes. Sean McCarthy pulled off two great saves to deny Dalbeattie the equaliser before Steven Anderson secured the win. Star ended the game with only nine men when Connor Graham picked up his second booking of the match deep into injury time.

The first half-chance of the game fell to Academy on 17 minutes. A Michael Steven throw-in on the right found Sam Mackay on the edge of the box. Mackay knocked the ball back to Gary Manson but he fired his attempt from 25 yards out over the crossbar.

A minute later and Steven Anderson almost found the opener. Gary Weir played the ball onto Anderson who marched into the box and went one-on-one with keeper Vinnie Parker. Parker came and narrowed the angle, blocked Anderson's shot and then gathered the re-bound.

On 21 minutes Academy took the lead. Greig Thorborn gave away a free kick and was booked in the process. Danny Mackay floated it onto the mix and Dalbeattie could only clear to the edge of their box. It fell to Michael Steven who headed it back in for James Pickles who went one-on-one with the keeper and Pickles stayed composed and although Parker got a touch on the ball he couldn't prevent it ending up in the back of the net.

0 - 1

On the half-hour Academy had another chance. Mackay crossed into the box from the right and it was knocked into the path of Macadie but his first-time volley flew just wide of the target.

The home side created their first real chance on 36 minutes. A ball into the Academy box found Jamie McHarrie but his shot smacked off the back of Michael Steven and Academy cleared the danger.

Sam Mackay then had two chance within the space of a minute. Weir won the ball in the centre circle and played it up-field to Mackay. He drove forward and got a shot on target from just inside the box that was saved by Parker. The re-bound fell to Mackay but he could only chip wide. He then had another good attempt from a similar positon again saved by the keeper.

Richard Macadie doubled the Scorrie's advantage five minutes from the half-time break. Pickles combined with Macadie who slid a great ball down the left flank for the Orcadian to run onto. Pickles drove into the box and went to go around keeper Parker who took him down. Referee Duncan Williams had no hesitation in booking Parker before pointing to the penalty spot. Macadie stepped up to take the spot kick, sent the keeper the wrong way and buried it in the bottom right hand corner.

0 - 2

Half Time - Dalbeattie Star 0 - Wick Academy 2

Dalbeattie gaffer Darren Kerr made a change for the start of the second half with Lewis Todd coming on for Danny Dunglinson.

Dalbeattie's task to get back into the game took a dent with only three minutes of the second half played. Lewis Sloan went in to challange for a cross that McCarthy fell forwards to collect and referee Williams spotted something he wasn't happy with and he flashed Sloan a straight red card.

On 70 minutes the 10 men of Dalbeattie pulled a goal back. Danny Mackay challenged Tommy Muir for a 50-50 ball that was played into the Academy box and referee Williams awarded the second penalty of the match. Muir took the responsibility of the spot kick and he hammered home.

1 - 2

Star's tails were up and it took two brilliant saves from Sean McCarthy to prevent the equaliser. The first from a Lee Wells header from a free-kick that looked goal-bound but McCarthy somehow managed to dive to his left and get a hand to it to claw it away to safety. Substitute Sean Degan then had a 25 yard left foot drive that looked bound for the top corner of the net but McCarthy managed to tip over the top with another wonderful one-handed save.

Nine minutes from full-time Academy put the tie to bed. Michael Steven picked up a slack pass from Lee Wells just inside the Academy half on the right flank and drove forward into empty space. He played a fantastic long diagonal ball over the top that Steven Anderson latched onto in between Wells and another covering defender and from just inside the box he smashed a low left foot drive passed keeper Parker into the bottom right hand corner.

1 - 3

Marc MacGregor came on for Richard Macadie and he had an attempt that was saved by Parker who had been a busy boy for the duration of the game.

Dalbeattie's day went from bad to worse as Connor Graham picked up his second booking of the game deep into injury time and Academy ran the clock out to ensure their berth in the second round.

Full Time - Dalbeattie Star 1 - Wick Academy 3

The draw for the second round takes place next Monday night the 26th Sept at 6pm.

Match report written by Luke Bunch

Squad Statistics (as at September 24th, 2016)

2016/2017 All Time
Sean McCarthy (GK)23 10 - 87 -
Grant Steven24 7 - 1636
Michael Steven26 10219210
Danny Mackay25 8 - 481
Sam Mackay27 81250109
James Pickles25 10114015
Richard Macadie29 117427172
Alan Farquhar28 812624
Gary Manson32 10153937
Steven Anderson23 1099042
Gary Weir19 61425164
Andrew Hardwick (sub)23 6 - 6 -
Marc MacGregor (sub)21 1124814

League Table (as at September 24th, 2016)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Buckie Thistle 10 10 0 0 +41 30
2. Brora Rangers 10 8 1 1 +26 25
3. Cove Rangers 10 7 2 1 +20 23
4. Formartine Utd 10 7 1 2 +12 22
5. Fraserburgh 9 6 2 1 +8 20
6. WICK 10 5 3 2 +12 18
7. Lossiemouth 10 5 1 4 -5 16
8. Forres Mech 10 4 3 3 +2 15
9. Turriff United 9 4 0 5 -4 12
10. Keith 10 4 0 6 -5 12
11. Clachnacuddin 10 2 4 4 -2 10
12. Inverurie Locos 10 2 4 4 -2 10
13. Deveronvale 10 3 0 7 -5 9
14. Rothes 10 2 2 6 -16 8
15. Huntly 10 2 2 6 -20 8
16. Nairn County 10 2 1 7 -14 7
17. Strathspey 10 2 0 8 -24 6
18. Fort William 10 1 0 9 -24 3