Wick Academy 8
Lossiemouth 0

Wick Academy
8 - 0

Saturday, August 4th, 2018
Harmsworth Park. Att. 250
3:00 PM Kick-off

David Allan (2)
Gary Manson (pen.) (9)
Marc MacGregor (15)
David Allan (17)
Richard Macadie (20)
Gary Manson (pen.) (34)
Richard Macadie (35)
Richard Macadie (38)

Team Managers
Tom McKenna
Joe Russell

Starting Eleven
Sean McCarthy
Gary Manson
Alan Farquhar
Danny Mackay
Craig Gunn
Jack Halliday
Marc MacGregor
Richard Macadie
David Allan
Sam Mackay
Jack Henry
Blair Moir
Jack Macarthur
Ally Bellingham
Aaron Hamilton
Aaron McLean
Liam Archibald
Ross Archibald
Scott Campbell
James McLaren
Connor Mccauley
Brodie Allen

Gordon MacNab
Greg Mackay
Alan Hughes
Korbyn Cameron
Gordon Clark
Fraser Forbes
Dean Mccall
Baylee Campbell
Callum Clark
Ryan Sewell
Trevor Dear

Greg Mackay for Danny Mackay (46)
Alan Hughes for Jack Halliday (53)
Gordon MacNab for David Allan (53)
Baylee Campbell for Brodie Allen (72)
Ryan Sewell for Ross Archibald (79)
Fraser Forbes for James McLaren (83)

None. Aaron Hamilton (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Darren Munro (Referee)
Alexander McDonald & Paul Grant (Assistants)

Match Report

A young Lossiemouth team were blown away by a blistering 45 minutes of football that yielded 8 goals for Academy.
Wick went ahead after 2 mins when Davie Allan played a one two with Richard Macadie before beating Aaron Mclean at the edge of the 18 yard box and unleashing a curling left foot shot that left Lossiemouth keeper Blair Moir rooted to the spot as the ball hit the top corner of the net.
Two minutes later Moir came to the rescue of the Coasters punching out a dipping cross that was looking perilously close to dropping under the bar.
In the eighth minute a Davie Allan drive down the right into the penalty box this time drew a foul from Aaron McLean and Gary Manson stepped up to take the spot kick - sending the keeper the wrong way to give Wick a 2 goal advantage.
12 minutes in and it could have been 3 - Sam Mackay fed a ball through to Marc Macgregor inside the 18 yard box but Macgregor's shot cannoned off defender Aaron MacLean and over the bar for a corner. Craig Gunn was next to try his luck but, although his shot beat the keeper, it crashed off the upright and out for a goal kick.
A rampant Wick didn't have to wait too long for their next goal and on the quarter hour Marc Macgregor ran on to a ball from Jack Henry and coolly slotted the ball under the oncoming keeper.
Almost from the re-start, with the Lossiemouth defence all at sea, a long ball down the right found Davie Allan unmarked and from 12 yards out he wasted no time in dispatching the ball past the keeper.
Unable to re-group, Lossiemouth were at the mercy Davie Allan's pace, and his next foray down the right saw him round the keeper - but his shot was well blocked on the line by Aaron Hamilton.
Richard Macadie was next on the scoresheet when a cross from Jack Halliday was only partially cleared by the Lossiemouth defence and as the ball fell to Macadie he steered his right foot shot into the corner of the net.
Lossie rallied, and in the 23rd minute Wick keeper McCarthy had to be sharp off his line to collect a cross under pressure from Aaron Hamilton.
Wick chances were coming thick and fast - Richard Macadie tried his luck from 20 yards - his shot flying inches wide of the right hand post. On the half hour Jack Halliday's powerful header was well saved at his near post by keeper Moir.
In the 32nd minute Craig Gunn found space down the left and drove into the18 yard box where he was upended by Aaron Hamilton. Referee Munro showed a yellow card to Hamilton and pointed to the spot - Gary Manson duly stepped up and fired the ball into the net.
36 minutes gone and there was nothing Lossie keeper Blair Moir could do when a long ball down the middle found Richard Macadie unmarked - and the Wick man calmly fired the ball into the bottom right corner of the Lossie net. Two minutes later Macadie rounded off the scoring for the half (and completed his hat trick) - a pass from Marc Macgregor played in Davie Allan, who sprinted to the by line, cut the ball back to Macadie on the penalty spot and the Wick man fired the ball past keeper Moir.

Half time 8 - 0 and a wonderful half of football from Academy.

Half time substitution : Greg Mackay on for Danny Mackay
The half time break gave the Lossiemouth players chance to draw breath and regroup and a more defensive minded team ran out for the second half. Wick continued to create chances - a drive down the right and cross by Sam Mackay was cut out with a diving save by Blair Moir before Marc Macgregor could reach the ball and the ball was scrambled out for a corner by Scott Campbell.
Alan Farquhar was next to miss out - flying in to get his head to a cross in from the Sam Mackay but again Blair Moir managed to get a hand to the ball to turn it around the post for a corner. Another cross from Sam Mackay flashed across the face of goal but this time no Wick player could get a touch. Moir again came to the rescue of Lossie when he collected a cross in the air under heavy pressure from Jack Henry.
Pegged back to their own half for most of the time the first good chance of the second half came on the hour for Lossie when James McLaren broke through the middle but sub Greg Mackay did enough to put the Lossie man off his shot and Sean McCarthy was able to safely collect the ball.
Jack Henry was next up for Wick - the ball finding him in space at the right corner of the 6 yard box but he ballooned his shot high over the bar. Craig Gunn created and spurned his own chance after driving down the right wing, cut to the edge of the box but fired his shot inches wide of the near post.
While Lossie were finding it difficult to get out of their own half they also defended stalwartly and in the 70th minute Marc Macgregor was the next player to be thwarted by the Lossie defence - Alan Hughes fed the ball into Macgregor on the edge of the 6 yard box but his goalbound shot was blocked by a combination of a diving Scott Campbell and Blair Moir.
With Davie Allan off it was Alan Hughes turn to terrorise the Lossie defenders and it was his cross that gave Gordy MacNab his first chance of the match - but he didn't make clean contact and the ball inched past the right post.
With ten minutes to go it looked like Sam Mackay would break the second half deadlock but his shot was brilliantly blocked by his legs by Blair Moir and a minute later the cross bar came to the rescue of Moir when a flying header from Gordy MacNab had him beaten but the ball flashed off the bar and over for a goal kick.
No goals in the second half but plenty of entertainment.

Full time : Wick 8 v Lossiemouth 0

Click on the link below to read a newspaper report for this match.

Match report written by Mel Roger

Click here to view newspaper report.

Newspaper extract from Caithness Courier - 8th August 2018.

Squad Statistics (as at August 4th, 2018)

2018/2019 All Time
Sean McCarthy (GK)25 3 - 139 -
Danny Mackay27 3 - 1134
Jack Halliday24 31505
Marc MacGregor23 329426
Alan Farquhar30 3 - 2854
Sam Mackay29 3 - 302136
Gary Manson34 3259942
Jack Henry26 3 - 19 -
Richard Macadie31 34493191
David Allan28 33316138
Craig Gunn31 2 - 5229
Greg Mackay (sub)17 1 - 2 -
Gordon MacNab (sub)24 31217
Alan Hughes (sub)23 3 - 744

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at August 4th, 2018)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Formartine Utd 2 2 0 0 +6 6
2. Inverurie Locos 2 2 0 0 +5 6
3. Brora Rangers 2 2 0 0 +4 6
4. Rothes 2 2 0 0 +11 3
5. Buckie Thistle 2 1 0 1 +8 3
6. WICK 2 1 0 1 +6 3
7. Deveronvale 2 1 0 1 +6 3
8. Keith 1 1 0 0 +3 3
9. Fraserburgh 2 1 0 1 +2 3
10. Cove Rangers 1 1 0 0 +2 3
11. Turriff United 2 1 0 1 -2 3
12. Nairn County 2 1 0 1 -2 3
13. Forres Mech 1 0 0 1 -2 0
14. Clachnacuddin 1 0 0 1 -3 0
15. Huntly 2 0 0 2 -4 0
16. Strathspey 2 0 0 2 -5 0
17. Lossiemouth 2 0 0 2 -15 0
18. Fort William 2 0 0 2 -20 -9

Manager's Programme Notes

Richard Hughes interviewed by Alan Hendry, Caithness Courier

Richard Hughes hailed Wick Academy’s first-half display against Lossiemouth on Saturday as “absolutely brilliant” – and made it clear that every player in the squad will be called upon to get the club through the hectic early-season fixture list.
The Scorries got their 2018/19 Highland League campaign up and running with a scintillating opening 45 minutes against the beleaguered Coasters, scoring eight times without reply going up the Harmsworth slope.
There were no goals after the break but it still added up to Academy’s biggest ever win against Lossie, surpassing a 7-0 rout in 2001.
Co-assistant manager Hughes said: “Obviously we’re over the moon – to beat anybody 8-0 is fantastic. Some of our movement and passing was absolutely brilliant in the first half.
”Man of the match Richard Macadie led the way with a hat-trick, and two-goal Davie Allan would have fancied his chances of a treble had he not been taken off early in the second half. Gary Manson scored twice from the penalty spot and Marc Macgregor got the other.
Hughes said: “It was very pleasing, especially the football we played in the first half – our passing, our movement, our pace. To be honest it could have been a couple more.
“We dropped the tempo and they set themselves up not to lose a goal in the second half, which they did, so all credit to Lossiemouth for doing that.
“But we can’t take anything away from our guys. I thought they were fantastic and it must have been really nice for the fans to see some of the slick football we played in the first half. It was nice to see.
“Poor Davie Allan had to come off before he could get his hat-trick. We’ve got a tough few weeks and we’re going to have to use everybody that’s in the squad because we’ve got games Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday.
“Okay, on the 15th we don’t have a game, but then after that we’re back to Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday.
“It’s tough on the guys so we’ll need everybody, and we’ve got subs that need game time.”
It has been a difficult start for Lossiemouth, who were thumped 7-0 by Deveronvale on the opening day.

Lossie manager Joe Russell said: “In the first half we made the same mistakes we made against Deveronvale. We changed the formation and we became difficult to break down, which was pleasing.
“I asked them at half-time not to concede anything in the second half and they did that.
“It was a difficult shift for James McLaren up front but he managed to get himself in behind a couple of times and could easily have got a couple of goals.
“We’ve had to bring in the youths this season – we’ve not had the luxury of being able to buy players, so it’s a big learning curve for them and for myself as well.”